Write to us:
Hollins Park Hospital, Hollins Lane, Winwick, Warrington. WA28WA and Alderley Unit, Soss Moss Hospital, Nether Alderley, Warrington, Macclesfield, SK10 4UJ
Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
We provide the IMHA service for people who need support with their rights under the mental health act at Hollins Park and Soss Moss hospitals.
This page gives information about who can get support from an IMHA, and how an IMHA can support you.
What is an IMHA?
If you are being detained under a Mental Health Section, you are legally entitled to help and support from an Independent Mental Health Advocate.*
Advocates can support you with understanding and getting information about your rights under the Act, the parts of the Act that apply to you, and the medical treatments you may be given.
*Exclusions Apply; call the VoiceAbility team to find out more.
- Listen carefully to what you tell us about your views and feelings
- Support you to speak up or speak up on your behalf if needed
- Make sure you are fully involved in decisions being made about you
- We will close your case when the work is finished.
An IMHA can support you with:
- Being fully involved in your care planning
- Your access to Mental Health Review Tribunals, preparing for them and understanding decisions made
- Your access to other support or services
- Discussing appropriate aftercare
- How to raise concerns about your experience/care
- Exercising your rights.
The IMHA service is
Who can get an IMHA?
We offer IMHA as well as non-instructed advocacy and group advocacy in Hollins Park and Soss Moss* if you are:
- Conditionally discharged or a restricted patient
- Subject to Guardianship under the Mental Health Act
- On a Supervised Community Treatment Order
- Being considered for serious treatment such as Neurosurgery
- Someone under the age of 18 being considered for electro-convulsive therapy
How do I find an IMHA?
Staff have a duty to make sure you understand that help is available to you from IMHA services and how you can get that help.
If you do choose to work with an IMHA, you have a right to end that support at any time you wish to.
You can contact us directly on the details below or you can speak to us confidentially when we visit your ward.
Tel: 01925 664445
Email: Our advocates are Caylie.Ingham@voiceability.org and Simon.Brown@voiceability.org
Address: VoiceAbility, Advocacy Office, Hollins Park Hospital, Hollins Lane, Winwick, Warrington. WA28WA
Tel: 01625 862507
Address: VoiceAbility, Alderley Unit, Soss Moss Hospital, Nether Alderley, Macclesfield. SK10 4UJ
*These services are commissioned by the NHS rather than the local authorities so we are only commissioned to work with people who are detained under a Mental Health Act section at these secure hospitals.
Independent Mental Health Advocacy
This page gives information about who can get support from an IMHA and the different eligibility criteria. You can find out how an IMHA can support you and download some useful self-help tools.Click here
Our year 2015-2016
Our impact report includes our advocacy and project work, resources we’ve created and influencing work we’ve done as well as our internal projects to keep standards high.Impact Report 2015
Have Your Say
Got a question or you would like to tell us something?Click here