Read aloud or translate

Unpaid Carers advocacy

Unpaid Carers advocacy is for people who are aged 18 or over, who are caring for an eligible adult or child.

Does someone in your family need support with their health and care? Do you live with someone, and help them with everyday tasks? 

Even if you don’t think of yourself as a carer, you’re entitled to support.

What support can an advocate provide?

An advocate can support you and the person you care for to have your rights upheld. That might mean support with:

  • Guardianships
  • Mental Health Act tribunals
  • Communicating with health and social care professionals, including by letter and at meetings
  • Making a complaint, for example about a care provider, a care package, direct payments or healthcare
  • Housing
  • Resolving problems
  • Signposting to other services

You can access advocacy without the role of carer’ defining you. You’re not alone, you don’t have to be alone.

Greig, unpaid carers advocate

Who can get unpaid carers advocacy?

You need to be 18 years or older. 

The person you care for must be at least one of the following:

  • they are subject to the Adult Support and Protection Act
  • they have a mental health condition, or a substance use issue
  • they have a learning disability or they are autistic
  • they have a diagnosis of dementia, physical disability, sensory impairment, or an acquired brain injury 
  • they are a child or young person receiving services from Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

VoiceAbility provides unpaid carers advocacy when the person you care for lives within the City of Edinburgh. Another organisation will provide this kind of advocacy if they live somewhere else.

Who can refer an unpaid carer for advocacy support?

You can refer yourself. 

A friend or family member can make a referral.

Professionals such as care workers, social workers and health professionals can also make referrals.

Find out more at a drop-in session

Meet an advocate to chat about your situation, and find out what support is available. You don’t need to make an appointment.


Wednesdays 10am - 12pm from 13 September to 13 December 2023


Supervisor Room 121
MacKinnon House
Royal Edinburgh Hospital
Morningside Place
Edinburgh EH10 5HF

Feedback and complaints

VoiceAbility provides unpaid carers advocacy in Edinburgh for the Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership.

Who do I contact if I want to make a complaint?

You can access the Council’s complaints process and contact the Social Work Advice and Complaints Service by email on

You can also contact them by telephone on 0131 553 8395.