Care and Support Advocacy

care and support

Care and support can mean lots of things.  It could be getting help with things like washing and dressing or visiting friends and family.


Your local council should work with you to get you the care and support you need to be safe and happy.

Getting care and support

fully involved

You should be fully involved in all stages of getting any care and support you need.

stages getting care and support

This includes going through:

  • A care and support assessment
  • A care and support planning process
  • A care and support review
  • A safeguarding process

A safeguarding process is when you or someone you know feels that you are not safe.

Someone will make sure you are safe.  A team of safeguarding professionals will then look at what has happened.  This is to make sure you stay safe.

Being fully involved

fully involved

The words ‘fully involved’ means you should be able to:

  • Understand what is happening
  • Understand information that is given to you
  • Remember information that is given to you
  • Understand choices
  • Make decisions about what you want to happen
  • Communicate what you want
find it hard

If you think that you will find any of these things very hard, you might need an advocate. 

Care and Support Advocacy

my plan

Advocacy is about helping you get what you need.

speaking up yourself

An advocate can support you to speak up, or they might speak up on your behalf if you need them to.

talking things through

An advocate will help you to be fully involved in decisions about your care and support.


Advocates are independent. This means they do not work for the council or any other care provider. 

What will an advocate do?

an advocates role

An advocate can help you to:  

  • Understand what is happening.
  • Understand your choices and make your own decisions.
  • Tell others what you want and about your views and feelings.
  • Make sure you get your rights.
  • Make plans that say what you want to do.
reporting things you don't like

Decisions might have been made about you that are not right for you.

Your advocate can help you write a report about the things you don’t like.  The advocate will write the report for you if you are not able to. 

Who can work with an advocate?

who can work with an advocate?

You may be able to work with an advocate if you are:

  • An adult who needs care and support
  • A carer of adults.
  • A carer of a young person who is about to start using adult services.
  • A young person who is about to start using adult services

It does not matter if you live at home with your parents, on your own, or in a care home.  You can still work with an advocate.

You can also get an advocate if you are in hospital or if you are in prison.

Contacting an advocate

You, or someone you know, can talk to the council and ask about advocacy.

They will contact an advocate for you if you need one.