For professionals

If you are a health or social care professional, these pages will help you to find:

  • Referral forms
  • Information about the different kinds of advocacy and eligbility for each
  • Other advocacy related resources

If you are not certain whether someone you are working with is entitled to an advocate, please contact us. We can talk to you about the situation and help you understand what the person needs.

Spot purchase and out of area advocacy

We can deliver all statutory advocacy disciplines as spot purchase / out of area. This includes IMHA, IMCA, professional RPR services and more. We offer a flexible, national service which can meet your needs cost effectively.

If you'd like to speak to use about spot purchase or supporting you to deliver out of area work, please call our helpline. The helpline will put you in touch with the VoiceAbility service manager for your area.

Helpline for IMCA and RPR: 0300 330 5499
Helpline for Care Act Advocacy: 0300 222 5948

How to make a referral

Many of our services use a central helpine and referral centre. You can find referral forms by visiting the pages for Care Act and IMCA to download forms for those services.

Other services will use forms specific to their local area. To view these, please visit the pages for your area by using the search box under the map to the left.