Training for service users
The training team at VoiceAbility is made up of Experts by Experience who have disabilities. They are supported by non-disabled colleagues with a wealth of expertise working with clients with disabilities and those with mental health issues. At VoiceAbility we work with people with learning disabilities, mental health issues and other disabilities on a daily basis. We take our learning and turn it into informative and interactive training sessions.
This training, usually delivered over 2 days, looks at how to check services, what to look out for and the questions to ask service users. It includes:
- What is Quality Checking?
- What makes good care and support and how to identify it.
- Empowerment and making choices – how this relates to good support.
- Role playing exercises around choice and control.
- Working as a team.
- How to identify good and bad environments – services, houses, rooms.
- How to ask questions.
- Practising asking questions via role play.
- Role playing quality checking visits of good and bad projects.
This session is for service users who are in a position to represent others, eg as tenant reps or on the board of an organisation. It can be adapted to suit the role which the service users have. It is suitable both for those who are new to the job of representing others and those who are already in post who may need refresher training. It can include:
- The skills needed to represent others.
- Different roles on the board.
- Rules for good meetings.
- Good and bad meetings acted out via role play.
- Giving presentations to groups of professionals and/or service users.
This session gives service users the chance to think about what they want from an ideal service, and to learn skills which will help them to speak up and challenge services in a positive way in order to improve quality. It can include:
- Exploring what makes a good service.
- How to find out the views of other people using the service.
- Recording the views of other people using the service.
- Communication techniques.
- Training to cope with meetings with professionals.
Give us a call or email us to discuss how we can meet your training needs and for prices of training packages.
Consultancy & Training Coordinator
Tel: 01223 555800 ׀ Mob: 07710 098915