Care Act Advocacy

Support for people going through care and support planning, reviews or assessments, or safeguarding. Part of our Care and Support Statutory Advocacy service.

Information for professionals: Full eligibility criteria and how to refer

Without support, the person will find it very hard to:

  • understand information necessary to fully engage with care and support processes
  • retain information for long enough to be fully involved
  • weight up information to make their own decisions
  • communicate their wishes and views

AND they do not have any apprioriate, able and willing family or friends to support the person's active involvement.

For advice on eligibility, call us on 0300 222 5947

You can refer someone by calling 0300 222 5947 or by completing the referral form for professionals below. You must return this in one of the following ways:

1. Post the referral form to our Head Office: VoiceAbility Unit 1, The Old Granary, Westwick, Oakington CB24 3AR

2. Email to via a secure method, for example the following are acceptable if you have access to one of these:

  • Sophos email (available to Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust staff)
  • Egress email (available to Warwickshire County Council staff)
  • email (available to Coventry City Council staff)

3. Email from a CJSM account to

For data security reasons, do not email referral forms unless you are using a secure method, even if you password protect documents. If you do not have access to a secure email, or simply prefer to call us, please phone 0300 222 5947 to make the referral, instead of completing the form.

It is essential that we keep people’s data secure, please remember that it is your responsibility to send information to us securely. We are continuing to review secure email routes. If we are able to offer any additional referral routes we will add them to this page.

Information for people who would like an advocate

If you receive care services, you may have the right to Care Act Advocacy.

Groups of people we can help include:

  • an adult who needs care and support
  • a carer of an adult, or a carer of a child in transition
  • a young person and you are approaching the transition to adult care and support. 

Advocacy is available during:

  • Care and support assessments.
  • Care and support reviews.
  • Care and support planning.
  • Safeguarding processes.

You may get an advocate if you find it very hard to be involved in these things and you do not have a friend or relative who can help make sure you are involved. 

Whatever your living situation, you can recieve support from an advocate; whether you live at home, in a care home, in a hospital or you are in prison. 

What does an advocate do?

Advocates support you to make your own decisions. They can also assist you to speak up about the care you receive. 

An advocate can help you to:

  • Understand what is happening.
  • Understand information.
  • Understand your options and make decisions.
  • Tell people what you want.
  • Make sure your rights are respected.
  • Challenge decisions that have been made about you if you don't agree with them. 

How can I get an advocate?

You will need to ask a health or social care professional to refer you to us. If you have difficulty with this, you can call us on 0300 222 5947.