Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)

An advocate will be appointed by the Local Authority if someone is subject to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and they do not have any friends or relatives suitable, willing and able to act as their representative.

What is a Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)?

Being deprived of liberty means you are not free to live where you choose. There are rules to ensure no-one is deprived of their liberty without good reason and that those who are deprived of their liberty have specific rights. These rules are called the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS).

If a decision is made that it is in a person's best interests for them to live in a care home or hospital, and that this will mean that they will be deprived of their liberty, then under the DoLS the person has the right to a Relevant Person's Representative (RPR). An RPR is someone who will protect the person’s interests during the time that they are deprived of their liberty.

What does an RPR do?

The RPR will support the person who has been deprived of their liberty with all matters relating to the Deprivation of Liberty, such as:

  • Ensuring any conditions within the DoLS are adhered to.
  • Requesting a review.
  • Supporting the person to make a complaint or making a complaint on the person's behalf where required.
  • Making an application to the Court of Protection if the person wanted to challenge the deprivation of liberty.
  • Supporing the person to understand their situation and rights under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.
  • Visiting person at least monthly.
  • Ensuring that the reasons for the deprivation are still relevant and that any measures that are put in place to support the person who is deprived of their liberty are being carried out.
  • Writing regular reports to the Local Authority.

Who can be an RPR?

The Relevant Person's Representative will usually be friend or family member who is in regular contact with the person and is willing to be appointed to the role by the Local Authority.

Some people do not have a friend or family member, suitable, able or willing to act as their RPR. In these situations, the Local Authority are obligated to appoint an independent advocate, known as a Paid Relevant Person's Representative (PRPR).

More information about the Paid Relevant Person's Representative role can be found on the Social Care Institute for Excellence Website: