Care Act Advocacy

Social care teams in the local authority have a duty to make sure that people are fully involved in understanding and making decisions about the care and support they need.  For people who will find it very hard to be fully involved in the care process, independent advocacy is available.

For eligible people, independent advocates are available to support them to understand, plan for and be involved in their:

  • Care assessments
  • Care and support planning
  • Care and support reviews
  • Safeguarding enquiries
  • And, for safeguarding adult reviews, previously known as serious case reviews.

Advocates work with individuals to help them make their own decisions. They will support people to understand the care and support process they will be involved in, and to communicate their wishes and preferences to professionals about their future care and support needs.

You may be eligible for advocacy support if you are:

  • An adult who needs care and support.
  • A carer.
  • A child who is making the transition to adult care services.

You can find out more in our Care and Support Advocacy page.

How to get an advocate

If you are not sure whether you can get a care and support advocate, you can get advice from the VoiceAbility team.

If you want to make a referral yourself, you can contact us or complete the self-referral form below.

If you are a health or social care professional who would like to refer someone for advocacy, please use the form below.

As our staff are all based at home, please send all referral forms to us via email.

Our email address, where referral forms can be sent, is:

Referrals can be made by authorised staff in the Social Care team. If you prefer, you can speak directly with someone in the Social Care Team and they can help you understand more. 

The Adult Social Care Team

Telephone:  0191 520 5552