VoiceAbility | Peterborough
Read aloud or translate

Our services in Peterborough

We provide the following services:

  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
    What’s this?

    Independent Mental Health Advocates (IMHAs) support people with issues relating to their care and treatment when they have been detained (sectioned) under the Mental Health Act. They also help people understand their rights under the Mental Health Act.

  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)
    What’s this?

    Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCAs) support people who lack capacity to make decisions about their long term accommodation or serious medical treatment and who do not have any friends or family appropriate to consult.

  • Care Act advocacy
    What’s this?

    Independent Care Act advocates support people to understand their rights under the Care Act and to be fully involved in decisions about any care and support they need. This includes local authority assessments, care reviews, care and support planning and safeguarding processes.

  • NHS complaints advocacy
    What’s this?

    NHS complaints advocates support people to complain about the treatment or care that they or a friend or family member have received from an NHS service. This support is available at every stage of the complaints process. 

  • Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)
    What’s this?

    When a DoLS authorisation is in place and there is no suitable RPR, an advocate can take on the role of RPR.

  • General advocacy in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
    What’s this?

    We support people with additional needs to understand their options, make decisions and be heard when they face a challenge or issue. This support is for people living in and registered at a GP in Cambridgeshire or Peterborough, who are over 18 (or aged 16-18 and severely or profoundly deaf), and who are using adult care services or mental health services. We can also support carers of someone using these services. If someone is not eligible for statutory advocacy, they may be able to access general advocacy.

In Peterborough we only take referrals for adults. NYAS provide advocacy for children and young people in Peterborough who are Looked After or In Need; or who are having a Return Interview. Please contact NYAS directly for more information or to make a referral: www.nyas.net/referral-form