Read aloud or translate

Who do I contact to make an NHS complaint?

Who to contact varies depending on which NHS service your complaint is about. 

NHS England is only to be contacted directly for the following:

  • healthcare in prison
  • military healthcare
  • or specialised services that support people with a range of rare and complex conditions 

Get in contact:

By post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT

By email: (use For the attention of the complaints manager’ in your subject line

By phone: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays).

For all other NHS complaints

You can get free support from us to help you use the NHS complaints process. Talk to us about how to make a complaint or to get advocacy support. 

Even if you only want an information pack at the moment, you can ask us for an advocate later on if you find you need more help.

If you’re complaining on someone else’s behalf, it’s useful to get their permission in writing. We have a consent form you can use. To get a copy, contact us using the details below.

Your complaint could be about:

  • NHS hospitals
  • private hospitals where the NHS funds treatment
  • GP surgeries
  • dental surgeries
  • pharmacies
  • opticians
  • NHS funded care homes
  • ambulances
  • specialist services
  • NHS community staff
  • and other NHS staff or clinicians

Get in contact:

By email:

By phone: 0300 303 1660 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, excluding English Bank Holidays).