Read aloud or translate

Independent advocacy in Scotland

Learn more about advocacy in Scotland.

Who can access independent advocacy in Scotland?

There are many different kinds of advocacy support available. Your access to advocacy will depend on where you live in Scotland.

The Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 gives some people the right to access independent advocacy.

  • People with mental health conditions
  • People with learning disabilities
  • Autistic people
  • People with dementia

Looked after children and young people also have the right to an advocacy worker to support them at children’s hearings.

There are many other kinds of advocacy, offering support with a range of needs including housing, human rights, and long-term health conditions. Different groups of people like carers, older people, and parents and families can also access advocacy. These different types of advocacy may be available where you live.

Find your local advocacy organisation

The Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance (SIAA) provides an online tool to help you find out about independent advocacy where you live.

Search for an advocate on the SIAA website

Can VoiceAbility find me an advocate in Scotland?

VoiceAbility has been commissioned by Scottish government to provide the Independent Advocacy Service for Social Security Scotland benefits, supporting disabled people to access these benefits.

Find out more and make a referral