VoiceAbility | Newham
Read aloud or translate

Our services in Newham

We provide the following services:

  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
    What’s this?

    Independent Mental Health Advocates (IMHAs) support people with issues relating to their care and treatment when they have been detained (sectioned) under the Mental Health Act. They also help people understand their rights under the Mental Health Act.

  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)
    What’s this?

    Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCAs) support people who lack capacity to make decisions about their long term accommodation or serious medical treatment and who do not have any friends or family appropriate to consult.

  • Care Act advocacy
    What’s this?

    Independent Care Act advocates support people to understand their rights under the Care Act and to be fully involved in decisions about any care and support they need. This includes local authority assessments, care reviews, care and support planning and safeguarding processes.

  • Rule 1.2 Representative
    What’s this?

    Support if someone is or may be deprived of their liberty in a community or domestic setting.

  • IMHA for young people
    What’s this?

    Our advocates support young people by explaining their rights and supporting them find out information about their treatment or raise concerns about their experience and/​or care in hospital. We can also support young people at meetings, ward rounds or care reviews. For details contact us or ask ward staff.

  • General advocacy in Newham
    What’s this?

    We support people with additional needs to understand their options and make decisions when they face a challenge or issue. This support is for people over the age of 18 living in Newham, registered at GP in the borough, who use adult care services or mental health services. We can also support carers of someone using these services. If someone is not eligible for statutory advocacy, they may be able to access general advocacy.

  • Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)
    What’s this?

    When a DoLS authorisation is in place and there is no suitable RPR, an advocate can take on the role of RPR.